Tesco hudl2

Child safety app

Tesco launched on 2012 the first generation of the hudl. An Android tablet with a competitive price of ~£100. The majority of these devices sold to young families, as a Christmas gift for kids. Tesco used this learning to improve the hudl’s experience for young families.

I worked in one the hudl2 apps targeted for parents and children: Child Safety. We launched it in collaboration with The Parent Zone. An organisation that supports the online rights of families in the UK.

Child Safety provided parents more control over a hudl2. To reassure them, their kids will be safe and secure while using the tablet and online. The hudl2 sold 35.000 units in 2 days and completely sold out all stock units in a year, praised with excellent reviews.

“The parental controls are some of the most comprehensive and easy to use on any device, let alone a tablet”. The Guardian

“Setting up a new profile is quick and easy, taking less than a minute and allowing you to upload a photo.”  Recombu

MY ROLE IN CHILD SAFETY

  • User experience and Interface design

 

  • Facilitation of sketching sessions with the team

 

  • Contributed to creation of user stories

 

  • Close collaboration with the development team

 

  • User research: Surveys, in-depth interviews, usability testing sessions, analysis and report creation…

 

In regards to my daily tools, I used a combination of Sketch and Photoshop for interface design. Skala to preview designs on the device and Axure for building prototypes to test with users. Hipchat / Slack for team communication and JIRA / Basecamp for project management.

THE TEAM STRUCTURE

1x UI/UX Designer
3x Android developers

1x QA Specialist
1x Back-end developer

1x Agile coach

1x Product owner

The wider team included user researchers, analytics experts and a creative director. Other ustwo designers were also working in different streams.

tesco-hudl-child-safety
hudlicons2

THE PROCESS

The whole hudl2 programme used Agile & Scrum methodologies. Our sprint cycles were 2 weeks long and we worked on user stories from a backlog groomed on every Sprint. In our grooming sessions we decided in advance future features to work on. The acceptance criteria for each story, dependencies any other relevant details.

We had a Sprint Demo where each team showcased and celebrated progress. A moment to celebrate the good work and get together as one team. After the demo, we jumped into Sprint planning to identify the user stories and our Sprint goal.

TALKING WITH USERS

We ran an initial research phase for hudl2 to understand user needs and challenges. This gave us knowledge and insights to inform our design decisions going forward. We captured our learning using personas and validated potential concepts with users.

Every Sprint, we recruited participants to validate concepts and iterate the personas. We asked questions about the current build and future features in the form of prototypes. Then, we analysed and shared findings with the rest of the wider team.

We streamed each session, so anyone in the team could enjoy and be part of the learnings discussion. This guided our new solutions as we all shared the same level of understanding about our users.

MY THREE BIGGEST LEARNINGS

Expect the unexpected with kids

Kids are the funniest participants for user testing sessions. You can see when they are sleepy, hungry or they had a fight before with their siblings. They give honest and creative answers and are great in co-creation sessions. Set the right tone of voice for kids became one of our main design challenges throughout the project.

Sketching as Juan team

To be an advocate of collaboration, you need to engage all disciplines of a team. Everyone should be part of the conversation to solve user problems, as we are all in this together. We overcome the challenge of cross-collaboration over 4 different office spaces by sketching solutions together to achieve shared understanding of the users’ problems.

Sharing is caring

Being the only designer (or any other discipline) in a team can be hard to handle. All designers we got together every other week to talk about design, shared our thoughts and influence our work across the different work streams.

MY PERSONAL WIN

Back then there was no Zeplin and we used Photoshop instead of Sketch. We used a Photoshop plug-in called Ink to annotate our designs. To design for Android, we needed to make further calculations from pixels to DP, doubling the work.

I decided to adapt the source code of this plug-in to our needs. With this update, we reduced the time in annotations to almost zero. This benefited all designers from the programme ( Insert high fives to myself here).

Before ending the project I emailed the plug-in’s creator but never got any reply back. A few months later a new version of the plug-in had the exact same changes… What a coincidence!